Cap-off a great meal with a steaming cup of fresh-brewed espresso; but why not make it something special? Try these seven add-ins to make your cup of strong, black coffee even more delicious and satisfying after a meal with family, friends, or by yourself. If you don't imbibe in alcohol, consider substituting some of the liqueurs and spirits with non-alcoholic syrups and flavor extracts found online.
End a meal or cap-off an evening with these seven add-ins for your perfect cup of espresso:
- Vanilla ice cream. Add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream to a cup of strong espresso for the idyllic marriage of hot and cold, and the perfect tad of sweetness in your after-dinner coffee. Let the ice cream slowly melt into the cup, and use a melon baller for tiny scoops when serving in espresso cups.
- Whiskey and honey. Another great idea for an after-dinner espresso is to add a splash of your favorite whiskey, and a drizzle of honey. You can use honey-whiskey, which is popular in liquor outlets right now, though it may not provide the depth of flavor that is brought by fresh honey and a good aged bourbon.
- Something nutty. Strong coffee is the perfect pairing with something nutty, like hazelnuts or almonds. Add a splash of Frangelico liqueur to your cup of black espresso. Can't find Frangelico liqueur? You could substitute a splash of amaretto, which is widely available and less expensive.
- Coffee and cream. Bring some depth of flavor to your espresso with just a drizzle of Tia Maria, a coffee-flavored liqueur, and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. This has just the right amount of sweetness to be perfect for dessert!
- Chocolate and cinnamon. Give your cup of espresso a generous sprinkle of cinnamon, and serve with a square of deep, dark chocolate. The three flavors combined are decadent and delicious!
- Sweet rum. Serve your cup of espresso with a sweet rum, like the golden rums often found from the Bahamas. Either add a splash to the espresso cup or serve a side-car of rum with your coffee after a meal.
- Orange cognac. Rim a snifter with sugar and add a half-ounce of orange cognac, which is widely found in liquor stores. Place a spoon in the glass to prevent breaking when you pour in the piping-hot espresso to fill the snifter. You can finish with a dollop of whipped cream, if you wish.
Try these seven suggestions to elevate a cup of strong espresso into the perfect ending to a delicious evening! Visit retailers and sites to upgrade your espresso machine, and to estimate the costs of investing in your own barista-quality espresso coffee maker. For more information, talk to a professional like Koolatron Corp.